Mumbai, October 28, 2020: Tata Mumbai Marathon 2020, Asia’s most prestigious marathon and a World Athletics Gold Label Race, has surpassed all previous records by raising INR 45.90 Crores for charity. This was announced by United Way Mumbai, the event’s Philanthropy Partner.
The Tata Mumbai Marathon has always inspired one and all to #BeBetter and this very ethos has echoed in the philanthropic drive. Inspiring and instilling the spirit of giving and re-enforcing a bond with civil society. The event continues to be the single largest sporting platform for philanthropy in India. Since its inception, TMM has now raised over INR 315.90 Crores, directly benefitting 700+ NGOs.
Unlike any other event in the country, Tata Mumbai Marathon has the privilege of being hosted and awarded from the glorious precincts of Raj Bhavan. The Raj Bhavan welcomed to its majestic environs, dignitaries and sponsors of the event including Harish Bhat, Brand Custodian, Tata Sons, Jayanti Shukla, Chief Executive Officer, United Way Mumbai and Anil and Vivek Singh, Promoters Procam International. The first citizen of the State, the Hon’ble Governor of Maharashtra, Shri. Bhagat Singh Koshyari felicitated all the top fundraisers for the event’s 2020 edition.
This year, 295 NGOs, 204 Corporates, 1424 fundraisers and 36,000+ donors showcased their commitment to support causes such as Healthcare, Education, Animal Welfare & Environment, Women Empowerment, Livelihood, Social, Civic & Community Development among others.
This year has been challenging for all and the global pandemic has affected each and every one of us, in one way or another. Corporates and NGOs alike struggled to navigate the new normal. The money raised for TMM couldn’t have come at a more crucial time for NGOs and is helping them meet commitments of ongoing projects, sustain and resurrect themselves. It is a fitting statement then that TMM 2020 has broken all charity records by raising more funds this year, giving the new normal a whole new meaning!
“The impact of the Tata Mumbai Marathon resonates beyond race day. It is heartening to know that 295 NGOs working for a multitude of causes have raised a record amount of INR 45.90 crores in donations at the 2020 edition; there cannot be a better way to symbolise the power of the human spirit. The event continues to be the largest sporting platform in India. It represents the power of the collective and is a testament to the goodness in all of us. Congratulations once again and wish the legacy of your philanthropic endeavours continues forward,” said the Hon’ble Governor of Maharashtra, Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
“For many months now I have really looked forward to announcing the philanthropy figures of the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2020 because not very often does one get to witness not one but two astonishing individual fundraising campaigns raising over INR 2 Crore each. Mr V S Parthasarathy and late Mr Dhaval Mehta are truly the role models our society needs. And this year too like every year, we have once again broken all previous records when our partner NGOs and Corporates, collectively with over 2000 fundraisers, raised a humongous INR 45.9 Crores,” said Jayanti Shukla, Chief Executive Officer, United Way Mumbai.
2020 in Focus
- The highest funds raised so far at any event edition – INR 45.90 Crores
- The highest number of funds raised by an individual across all Procam races since 2004 – Dhaval Mehta, raising INR 2.43 Crore through the generous support of 5519 donors across the world
- V S Parthasarathy, the highest fundraiser of TMM 2019, bettered his record by nearly a crore, raising a total of INR 2.25 Crore through 2110 donors, achieving the second-highest fundraising position.
- Highest Number of NGOs participating – 295
- Highest number of companies participating supporting a charity – 204 companies fielding 321 teams
- Highest number of individuals signing up to raise funds at TMM – 2067
- Highest number of Change Runners at TMM – 226
“Our partnership with the Tata Mumbai Marathon is special. Apart from sporting excellence, the event gives us an opportunity to give back to society. Our heartiest congratulations to United Way Mumbai, the NGOs and fundraisers for their stellar efforts and commitment. We are sure, this will serve as an inspiration for many more to contribute towards philanthropic causes and work towards a better tomorrow,” said Harish Bhat, Brand Custodian, Tata Sons.
“This is a proud moment for us. We are humbled by the efforts of United Way Mumbai, the running community and the citizens who have come forward with a stronger resolve to support the causes they are so passionate about. This year, they have truly shown the way, by breaking the record of funds raised for charity. Our gratitude to all our sponsors and partners for their unstinting and continued support,” said Vivek B Singh, Joint MD, Procam International.
Tata Mumbai Marathon 2020 Winners Across Different Categories
- Highest Fundraising NGO: Shrimad Rajchandra Love & Care – INR 7,50,32,255
- 2nd Highest Fundraising NGO: K.C. Mahindra Education Trust- Project Nanhi Kali – INR 2,63,82,564
- 3rd Highest Fundraising NGO: Isha Education – INR 2,05,56,341
- Highest Fundraising Corporate: Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd – INR 2,84,54,917
- 2nd Highest Fundraising Corporate: Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd. – INR 2,25,25,212
- 3rd Highest Fundraising Corporate: Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd. – INR 1,08,88,454
CHANGE LEGENDS – Individuals committing to raise INR 1 CR and above
- Dhaval Mehta – INR 2,43,16,925
- V S Parthasarathy – INR 2,25,20,211
- Sadashiv S Rao – INR 1,16,68,221
- KVS Manian – INR 1,13,75,532
- Villy Doctor – INR 1,04,23,341
CHANGE ICONS – Individuals committing to raise INR 50 lakhs and above
- Shanti Ekambaram – INR 60,04,332
- Sankara Raman – INR 50,22,303
- Abhay Jasani – INR – 50,00,000
CHANGE CHAMPIONS – Individuals committing to raise raising between Rs 25 Lakhs and Rs 49.99 Lakhs
- Sudhir Shenoy– INR 46,36,769
- Manish Kothari – INR 42,28,721
- Jaimin Bhatt – INR 30,64,141
- Aditya Joshi & Vishal Agarwal – INR 26,58,600
- Sumanth Cidambi – INR 25,82,288
- Ninad Tipnis – INR 25,67,501
- Reshma Jain – INR 25,25,000
- Mridula Jasani – INR – 25,01,000
YOUNG LEADER – Individuals below 21 years committing to raise a minimum of Rs 75,000
- TMM Young Leader – Anyssa Kothari – INR 10,69,402
Sport is at its best, when the single-minded pursuit of victory, is transcended, by helping transform lives of all those it touches” and that is the legacy of the Tata Mumbai Marathon.