Faridabad: Re-emphasising the need for road safety awareness among the people to build a collision-free India, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India’s (HMSI) National Road Safety Awareness Campaign reaches Faridabad in Haryana.
The three-day camp (February 15-17, 2023) at Modern School witnessed spirited participation from over 2500 school students and staff members who set out to imbibe safe riding practices. HMSI’s road safety instructors utilised age-appropriate road safety learning programmes to enhance the retention of road safety awareness among all.
Speaking on HMSI’s commitment towards sensitising India on road safety, Prabhu Nagaraj, Operating Officer – Brand & Communication, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India said, “Children are the road safety ambassadors of today and the future as well. The right knowledge on road safety at this age will develop their mind to be responsible road users. As a part of our National Road Safety Campaign, we intend to cover all walks of life to create road safety awareness across the country.”
HMSI’s National Road Safety Awareness program made learning fun yet scientific through:
- Interactive Session: HMSI’s specially trained road safety instructors educated 5 to 10 years old about the do’s and don’ts while commuting in a school bus and cycling.
- Practical Learning: 11 – 12 years old learnt how to ride their bicycle safely, their duties as a pillion on two-wheelers and the importance of safety gear on roads. To make this learning more practical and fun, kids got hands on learning experience on the specially imported CRF50 motorcycles.
- Scientific Theory Learning Module: Safety riding theory session on road rules and regulations, road signs and markings, driver’s duties on road, riding gear and posture explanation and safe riding etiquettes was conducted for 13 to 17 years old as well as for the staff.
- Existing Drivers Honing Riding Skills: School staff members who are already existing riders tested and honed their learnings through theoretical as well as practical training on a two-wheeler.
- Learning With Fun: To ensure that the young students could learn more about road safety, HMSI also conducted fun educational activities like road safety games and quizzes on daily basis.
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India’s CSR Commitment Towards Road Safety
For Honda globally, road safety comes first. As announced in April 2021, “Honda will strive for zero traffic collision fatalities involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles globally by 2050”. Fulfilling its corporate social responsibility (CSR), HMSI has been promoting road safety in India since its start in 2001. Working towards the realisation of Honda’s global safety vision, today HMSI’s road safety awareness initiative has already spread to more than 50 lac Indians. Its team of skilled safety instructors conduct daily programmes at its ten adopted traffic parks across India and seven Safety Driving Education Centres (SDEC).
Not only this, all HMSI’s 1000+ dealerships across India spread road safety awareness. HMSI’s proprietary virtual riding simulator increases the risk-prediction ability of riders; while new customers too are given predelivery safety advise (PDSA) before they start riding at every dealership across India.
Additionally, ensuring that learning does not stop in the new normal, HMSI started the digital road safety education initiative – Honda Road Safety E-Gurukul. Since its start in May 2020, this initiative has sensitised more than eight lakh Indians on the importance of being aware and responsible road users.